Lunes, Mayo 27, 2013


I am a Farmer
                It was a hot summer day. The scorching weather condition makes the house turn into an instant “oven”. The unbearable heat almost burns my skin inside. Hot air is blown by the fan making it more useless. I was in Nueva Ecija then. I was working in a government agency concerning agriculture. Prior to my assignment here, I was managing my family’s farm. Though the two works are both engaged in agriculture, the functions are entirely different.
                At the age of 19, I took over the managing of our farm. As manager, I was engaged in the decision-making, planning, and directing not only the production but also in the marketing of our produce, which was flowers. As early as 5 in the morning, before the rooster’s crow, I was already in the farm. During the peak of harvest, I, together with my mother, lead the harvesting operation so as to have an immediate product to be marketed at the later part of the day. 30 minutes to one hour, or brothers/sisters will join me in the harvest. It takes us 3 hrs to complete harvesting the 600-m2 sampaguita farm. By 8 am, sunlight becomes a challenge to finish or not the operation. It would be continued at the less heat-intense period of the day, e.i. 4-5 pm. However, it’s not

Figure 1.0 Harvesting of sampaguita flower



Figure 2.0 Newly harvested sampaguita flowers




Figure 3.0 Freshly sewn sampaguita garland (especially made for graduation ceremonies) ready for    
                 marketing

Figure 4.0 Manual sewing of sampaguita garland




Figure 5.0 Termed as “ordinary”, this is the most common available form of sewn garland in the market year-
                 round

Figure 6.0 My dearest mother, Ana, sipping coffee to revitalize her body from exhausting field harvesting

Figure 7.0 There are still lots of sampaguita flowers to be harvested

Figure 8.0 My sister, Mary Joy and Mary Ann, enjoyable picking up the flowers

Figure 9.0 A close-up view of the sampaguita buds

Figure 10.0 Inside the greenhouse of sampaguita plants

Figure 11.0 Violet strellita is used to complement the sampaguita garland

Figure 12.0 Peak season harvest of sampaguita when it was not yet covered in greenhouse

the case always. Harvesting may be extended until 10 in the morning and restart harvesting at 2 pm. imagine the temperature of that part of the day! In fact, it’s the time the state-run weather station discourages the public to stay under the sun’s light.
                On my elementary days, summer is the peak season of sampaguita flowering. We used to harvest at my aunt’s farm. I can still remember when my mother would tell me to take a nap in the afternoon (which I always defy). Instead, after lunch, I would sneak and walk the 1-km distance from our house to my aunt’s farm. The farm is located along the rice farm. There would be no shades except to the occasional large clouds that cover the sun. I could bear the heat without even replenishing the lost water. After one or two hours, I would go home.
                My mother would call me then, “Sandy! How many times would I tell you not to go in the farm in this time of the day?”
                I would just smile as a response.
Back in Nueva Ecija. It saddens me remembering those memoirs. If was only at home, I might not be on an “oven” right now. I am suffering from this harsh weather not on-farm but at this heavily insulated house.  I am a farmer...and I need to go back to my farm.

2 komento:

  1. Greetings From Kailas From India
    I like to get more information about Sampaguita - Jasmine related per plant yield , pest manage and cultivation practices of Jasmine . As I have also jasmine cultivation.

    Thanks

    with regards

    kailasandhale@gmail.com

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Hi, I'm interested in buying sampaguita buds in bulk. how can I contact you?
    kindly email me on christineckong@gmail.com

    TumugonBurahin